Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Homemaking: A life-changing calling? Or not...?

“Educated woman in the home? What an odd thing to deplore! What better place to have us end up? What more important job is there than sharing the values we are learning with the next generation of adults? What more strategic place could there be for an educated woman?”  Edith Hunter

I tend to agree with this statement, but there are many in the world today who do not and fight for the rights of women in the workplace.  As women succeed more and more in the professional world, they tend to start demeaning the precious role of motherhood.  Reflecting on this subject I turn to my hero, my own mother.

Isn't she beautiful?  I love and look up to her a lot.  This woman is amazing, having done so much for me and my family.  Besides that, I believe that she is the embodiment of the quote I mentioned before.  My mother was lucky enough to have the opportunity to be a full-time homemaker while she was raising us kids.  Looking back, I can see how this positively affected my life then and now. Similarly, I know that her ability to be a good mother was enhanced by her college education, she did not waste her time going to school to "only become a mom".  As a result of the knowledge she obtained, she was able to be a better nurturer and example to her family.  

In an article titled, "A Woman's Education is Not Wasted in the Home" by Jenet Jacob Erickson, the author discusses how much influence an educated mother has. She makes the point that women are the ones who are nurturing the next generation, and an education is needed to better do this!  For example, a woman will have the most influence on her children's cognitive development simply by her use of language in explaining different things.  She will also provide a foundation for a child's social and emotional capabilities simply by knowing how to respond to their needs and showing sensitivity.  

Here's a link to the article:

I know that there are many woman, who out of necessity, work to support their family or simply choose to do so.  I do not deny the need, or want to put down those who choose this life in anyway.  Women can make a wonderful contribution and have a positive influence in the business world. I just hope that those who have the chance to be a stay-at-home mom take it.  This is a wonderful opportunity to influence the rising generation for good.

*HAPPY FAMILIES CHANGE THE WORLD*

No comments:

Post a Comment